Sunday, November 30, 2008

La Nuova Vita, Italian restaurant in Newtown

Browsing the Newtown Wine and Spirits Shoppe yesterday, the display with the Beaujolais Nouveau 2008 wine caught my eye. I remember liking this wine last year- it's a red wine released November 20th that's supposed to be drank soon after buying. I picked up a bottle and last night my husband Harry and I went to La Nuova Vita, in the shopping area on Sycamore Street in Newtown, behind the 7-11 store.
We shared one of their nightly specials, an appetizer of salmon cakes with a jalapeno relish over frizzled spinach tortillas. It was delicious- we devoured it.
Harry had their beef lasagne for dinner- it was a nice sized portion (although he probably would have liked more, I thought it was just the right amount), topped with a spoon of freshly grated cheese to sprinkle on top. He gave it a thumbs up and cleaned his plate, eyeing my dinner as he finished.
I chose the eggplant parmesan and was very pleased with my selection. The eggplant was lightly breaded and fried, served over spaghetti with a simple house tomato basil sauce. This may sound like a heavy dish, but overall it tasted surprisingly light and fresh. I loved it.
The restaurant was not crowded, but - other than the out of the way location- I can't imagine why. The food and service were both good and the prices were reasonable. The dinner I described with salad and the appetizer was $44, very reasonable to me.
Check it out, this place has a lot going for it and has really nice touches like fresh rolls with a dish of flavored olive oil, roasted peppers and butter placed on your table as you wait for your food.

No comments: